The Legal Support Supervisor provides day-to-day and long-term management of Assistants and clerical staff in support of attorney and paraprofessional workflow. The Legal Support Supervisor acts as the liaison between the Administration, Human Resources, department chair and/or practice group leaders and staff. The Legal Support Supervisor communicates and enforces policies and procedures, resolves problems which impact productivity, manages workflow and ensures staff performance meets Firm standards.
- Coordinate legal support staff assignments to ensure adequate coverage and balanced workload through team support
- Determine assistant assignments which will meet planned law department and practice group attorney/assistant ratios; identify and recommend changes in legal support staff headcount to department chair and/or office administration
- Handle performance and conduct related coaching/disciplinary action as appropriate, including working closely with the Office Administrator and Human Resources Manager to ensure appropriate action and documentation is on file
- Ensure the performance of high quality work and delivery of high quality work product as performed by direct reports in support of attorneys and paraprofessionals
- Approve scheduling of time off, paid and unpaid, in accordance with Firm policies while ensuring equitable treatment of all direct – reporting staff
- Prepare daily schedule to ensure coverage for planned and unplanned absences, prioritizing coverage according to most critical need
- Assess individual and group training needs and make recommendation to Administration and/or training personnel; coordinate schedule for special Firm, office or departmental training projects
- Participate in the interviewing and selection process of new legal support staff
- Work with department chair and/or practice group leader to determine attorney and paralegal office assignments; coordinate necessary moves and equipment placement with appropriate local and national service/administration departments
- Conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports; gather input from attorneys, timekeepers and coordinating secretaries as appropriate; prepare written compilation form; meets with Human Resources Manager and/or Director, Operations and Administration as needed, recommend appropriate rating and salary increase amount; conduct performance review session with employee and present annual compensation statement
- Perform 6-month evaluations for new hires and transfers; solicit feedback with regard to performance of permanent and temporary unassigned assistant, and provide coaching and counseling as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred); Business management and administration or other related field
- Minimum of three years' supervisory experience; preferably in a legal environment
- Work experience managing workflow in a service environment preferably in a large law firm setting or legal department
Foley & Lardner LLP is a top ranked law firm with offices throughout the United States and abroad. At Foley we strive to remain true to our core values- our clients, integrity, our people, citizenship, diversity, trust & respect, stewardship & accountability and professional satisfaction. As a result, we offer the highest quality legal counsel to our clients, as well as outstanding professional opportunities for our employees.
Foley employees enjoy a comfortable, yet professional work environment, exceptional benefit package, state-of-the-art technology, work/life balance, great working relationships and much more.
We invite you to consider a career with Foley.