Alion Corporation, Cyber Network Solutions Group is searching for a Director of Business Development (BD) with a track record of success in winning large $100M+ strategic full and open competitive bids for mission-critical networks or related opportunities. This individual will be a hands-on collaborative capture leader with broad strategic perspective to assume overall responsibility for the strategic direction of all BD efforts within Emerging Cyber Initiative Operation (ECIO), located in Vienna, Virginia. This new Business Development leader will be charged building a 5 year business pipeline, qualifying these opportunities, capturing these opportunities and supervising the proposal efforts related to these opportunities. The driving priority will be to capture, win and grow large cyber services opportunities with associated DoD and IC customers.
The Director will stand up and create the business development team within the ECIO, recruit high-quality, hands-on business development and capture executives where needed and integrate business development efforts with execution plans within enterprise. The Director of Business Development will report to the Group Business Development Vice President of CNS. This BD Executive will be a business partner to ECI Operation and will drive all BD related activities in the development and growth of the operation.
This Director is responsible for building the pipeline for organic and adjacent growth by ensuring excellence in the delivery of full life cycle business development activities across ECIO, including management of bid and proposal (B&P) resources, target identification, capture strategies, proposal management, contract award and customer relations. This position is located in Vienna, Virginia.
Cultural fit is critical. The Director of Business Development must be an active listener, lead by example, and exhibit a collaborative, team-oriented leadership style. Alion leadership is characterized by a lack of internal politics, candor, and collegiality. The Director will be self-motivated, ethical, and innovative. This individual must be articulate and possess outstanding interpersonal skills. It is essential that the successful candidate develops and maintain a passion for the company and be committed to excellence.
- Extensive experience in the Department of Defense market, with a track record of leading and winning both single- (+$100million) and multiple- (+$1 billion) award contracts.
- Minimum of 15-20 years business development experience managing or assisting in the capture of +$50 million engagements in the federal defense market. Experience selling in a solutions-based and/or services environment is a plus.
- Must have technical competency with mission-critical networks, C4I, or cyber capabilities with at least one substantial single award or multiple award contract win.
- Must be a hands-on collaborative business development leader with a track record of leading strategic capture and proposal efforts.
- Firm understanding of the Federal Government procurement life-cycle, and participation in multiple government procurements in a business development, capture, or program management capacity.
- Responsible for effectively engaging government officials and staff, and build solid relationships with key individuals to identify and mature new business opportunities. Must possess established relationships within the DoD market environment.
- Should possess current contacts within the relevant customer communities.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emerging business trends resulting in pursuit recommendations to the Group Manager and senior management.
- Extensive knowledge, experience, and success of the entire capture process are required, and solid experience in all contract types (e.g., FFP, T&M, cost plus), as well as non-IDIQ and IDIQ single or multiple award contracts, is expected.
- Excellent communication skills and highly effective interpersonal skills are required as well as an ability to inspire confidence and provide business development leadership throughout the group and the company.
- The ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally, approximately 25%, is required.
- Current SSBI and clearance with SCI eligibility.
- A bias for action and an orientation towards solving rather than identifying problem areas is a preferred characteristic of the ideal candidate.
- The candidate must exhibit proven professional and managerial skills along with the leadership traits and personal characteristics which are necessary for success in senior management.
- Key factors include sound business judgment, keen conceptual skills, intellectual discipline, self-confidence, imagination, well-developed management skills, and the personal ambition to play a major role in the growth and success of a high growth business unit in an established company atmosphere.
- With full accountability for results, he/she must be willing to exert themselves over sustained periods of time to accomplish their professional and personal goals. They must set the standard for personal integrity, honesty, teamwork, and public accountability to motivate the entire team to the highest levels of commitment and personal effort.
- An established professional reputation for excellence in services rendered and absolute personal integrity must attend any candidacy for this position.
- Must display agility and ingenuity in responding to both the long-term and day to day opportunities that present themselves.
A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Master's Degree or MBA are highly preferred.