Working Title: Power Equipment Operator, Various Equipment, Trainee for Operator Classification
General Description of Position: Operate and maintain heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving, road building, structures construction and maintenance in a safe and efficient manner
Licensure/Certification/Credentialing: Texas Drivers License with proper endorsements depending on assignment
Essential functions and responsibilities listed below:
- Operates one or more types of various highway construction heavy equipment, including asphalt distribution, asphalt paving machine, bulldozer, concrete-paving machine, concrete paving spreader, crane, dragline, backhoe, rock crusher, foundation drill crane, mounted or truck mounted, front end loader, motor grader, pneumatic roller, steel wheel roller, scraper, tractor (crawler), tractor (pneumatic), trenching machine.
- Performs pre-shift inspection of machinery in accordance with Company Guidelines and manufacturers specifications
- Comply with operating safety rules and regulations
- Applies “Do Not Operate” lock out tags when appropriate, and notifies supervisors of any safety related or maintenance issues with equipment
- Ensures equipment is operated within manufacturers Specifications
- Assists mechanics and servicers in servicing and repairing equipment
- May build, level and excavate land surfaces using graders and other construction equipment
- Gather and load dirt and waste products from job sites onto trucks and transport to appropriate location
- Operate water tanker and similar equipment for dust control and dirt compaction
- Use hand-held mobile radio units to coordinate tasks and resources
- Fill in daily inspection reports
- Coordinate with the maintenance crew to report any problem with the operation of the assigned equipment
- Able to read and understand grade stakes, blue tops, automated machine control cab displays
- Depending on assignment, able to make rough grade, finish grade as needed.
- Depending on assignment, able to safely maneuver machinery in tight quarters, around people, traffic and utilities
- When not performing the above essential duties and responsibilities, may assist in other operations as designated by the supervisor
Safety Policies and Practices: The employee in this job must be knowledgeable about and follow the company’s safety policies and procedures as described in the company’s safety manual.
Education: High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience and Training: Three years experience, and knowledge of commercial driving regulations and roads is required.
Work environment: The work environment/physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; and high and/ or precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.